Collision Car Insurance Versus Comprehensive – What’s the Difference?

We get it. Insurance can be confusing. But at Erie Insurance, our agents speak your language.

This video describes the difference between collision and comprehensive insurance, two types of coverage that could be already included in your auto insurance policy.

So what’s the difference?

Collision car insurance covers damages to your car for accidents that happen when you crash with another vehicle, object or person. For example, if you’re in a fender bender with another car or you back into a telephone pole or mailbox, your collision insurance can help cover the damage to your vehicle.

Comprehensive car insurance covers damages to your car beyond what collision covers. For example, comprehensive insurance kicks in if you’ve hit a deer (or a deer hits you) or if your car were to be struck by lightning or a falling tree. Comprehensive car insurance can also help if your car is damaged by hail, fire, theft, or vandalism.

Do you need both collision and comprehensive car insurance? It depends on your situation—the age of your car, your budget and how much risk you want to personally carry. An ERIE Agent can help steer you in the right direction. Find one at

ERIE® insurance products and services are provided by one or more of the following insurers: Erie Insurance Exchange, Erie Insurance Company, Erie Insurance Property & Casualty Company, Flagship City Insurance Company and Erie Family Life Insurance Company (home offices: Erie, Pennsylvania) or Erie Insurance Company of New York (home office: Rochester, New York). The companies within the Erie Insurance Group are not licensed to operate in all states. Go to for company licensure and product details.

October 14th, 2015 by Slagel Insurance